Remembering Shahid Azmi, the Shaheed: Mahtab Alam

February 10, 2011

Guest post by MAHTAB ALAM

It must have been around nine pm on 11th February last year. The nightfall and Delhi’s infamous wintry chill ensured that I stayed indoors at the mercy of closed walls and work for company. Sure enough, I was seated warmly in my setting of a cyber cafe of Jamia Nagar in Okhla. Okhla, an area I had migrated to as a 14 year boy from my hometown, to pursue my further education, like many other Muslim students from other parts of this country. As Basharat Peer has rightly observed, ‘India’s Muslims don’t move to Delhi; they move to Okhla’.

I was disturbed from my work by a call on my mobile. The caller, a friend of mine who used to live in Mumbai was calling to break the sad news of Shahid Azmi being shot dead by some ‘unidentified’ gunmen in his office late in the evening. The news was confirmed by my friends in Mumbai. It shook me and for a moment, I went numb with disbelief.

Shahid was just 32 when he was martyred. Though born and brought up in Mumbai’s suburb Deonar, an area better known for TISS, his familial linage traces back to Azamgarh, a city I had visited just a week before his murder. During my visits to Azamgarh, I found people across the age group speaking very high of him and always viewed him with respect. He was arrested by police from his home in 1994 for ‘conspiring’ to kill India’s top politicians. The only evidence was a confession he had never made. Yet, he was given five years of imprisonment. While at New Delhi’s Tihar Jail, Shahid enrolled himself for graduation and began helping other inmates to peruse their cases in the court of law. When released in 2001, he came home and enrolled for journalism and law school. Three years later, he quit a paying sub-editor’s job to join defence lawyer Majeed Memon as a junior at Rs 2,000 a month. Later, he started his own practice that made a lasting difference. In a short period of just 7 years of his career as a lawyer, he gained both fame and notoriety for his commitment for Justice.It would not be unfair to say that, he was a man produced, consumed and later set to his ‘right place’ by the system.

I had first heard about Shahid in early 2009 in a meeting organised at Advocate Prashant Bhushan’s residence, when we were told that he was the right person to avail the list of accused in terror related cases of Maharastra since he was representing many of them. Later, at a condolence gathering organised by Jamia Teachers’ Solidarity Association, Advocate Prashant, recalling his association and few of his meetings with Shahid said, “Shahid was a brilliant lawyer with an extraordinary commitment for justice”.

In the last days of January of 2009, Shahid and I were invited as resource persons to speak at a workshop of paralegal activists at Mumbai organised by the Maharashtra chapter of Association for the Protection of Civil Rights (APCR), a civil rights’ group I was working with till I moved to Jharkhand to work at the grassroots. But I could not meet him as I arrived a day late. I still remember when I recall that the participants of the workshop were greatly impressed by his presentation and his personality. It reminds me of the words of Monica Sakrani, a friend of Shahid’s and associated with the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai. In an obituary piece that appeared in Economic and Political Weekly, “He was good at explaining things and came to Tata Institute of Social Sciences to take classes for the students as a guest faculty. His honesty, extensive knowledge, unassuming demeanor, good looks, boyish charm, soft voice and self-deprecating humour made him win over the students completely. They would be unwilling to let him go and the consensus every year was that his class was the best that they had ever had”. Later, when I saw the video of his presentation for APCR’s workshop, I realised I could not agree with them any less.

“He would tell the students about his childhood in Deonar, and how during his growing years he saw the institute and dreamt of entering it one day and that he had never imagined that he would come there one day to take a class. He would open up and share extremely personal, painful experiences with the students describing his years in the jail and the manner in which he was tortured. When asked about the most painful torture that he went through, he replied, not being given the Sehri (breakfast) during the month of Ramzan. He said that this was more painful than the physical torture that he went through. When students asked him what he felt the solutions to the problems were, he would softly reply – justice,” wrote Monica.

“At the Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights (CPDR) and Indian Association of People’s Lawyers (IAPL) both of which he was an active member of, everyone respected him for his knowledge and experience which was far beyond his young years and took his counsel on important issues including the legal cases”. But she also reminds us, “His work was not confined to only defending the cases that he gained notoriety for. He pro-actively took up causes of the oustees of the Mithi river beautification project and slum dwellers whose houses were demolished…He did not confine himself to reading his briefs and defending his cases well but also in analyzing them. He wanted to do his PhD and document the terror cases. In Mumbai he was probably the most knowledgeable person about terrorism, counter terrorism and the state’s modus operandi. At meetings, he would speak softly, slowly and concisely on issues and hold everyone’s attention with his layered and insightful analysis”.

Monica calling  Shahid as the most knowledgeable person about terrorism and counter terrorism in Mumbai is confirmed by the report,  The “Anti-Nationals”—Arbitrary Detention and Torture of Terrorism Suspects in India recently released by Human Rights Watch (HRW). Shahid is the only lawyer based in Mumbai who’s acknowledged in the report and quoted at various places. Letta Tayler, a researcher in the Terrorism and Counterterrorism program at HRW and one of the writers of the report told me that she had met Shahid in June 2009 and he meticulously described the alleged abuse of his Muslim clients who were accused of links to deadly bomb blasts in 2008 in Delhi, Ahmedabad and Jaipur. “As I listened to his words, I couldn’t help but fear for his future. The light he radiated seemed impossibly bright,” she recalled. “During more than five years in prison, Azmi explained to us, he decided that the most effective way to fight injustice was through the rule of law”. “But the quest for justice that he inspired cannot be extinguished”, she adds.

It is true that Shahid is not amongst us, and his untimely and violent death foreclosed rich possibilities that lay before all of us interested in justice. But the fact is that, in the last twelve months of his martyrdom, there has not been a single day that goes by without me thinking of Shahid. During last year, whenever I’ve visited courts or seen people wearing the lawyer’s uniform, i am reminded of Shahid and of my desire to follow in his footsteps. Even if he goes off my mind for a moment, the words of my senior friend Ajit Sahi and who closely worked with Shahid, would remind me that, “Shahid isn’t dead and will never be. I, for one, am far more determined to pursue the path he has shown. Just what bullet can take away the invaluable lesson in courage he has taught me?” I am sure that this holds equally for all of us.

(Mahtab Alam is a civil rights’ activist and journalist currently based at Ranchi. Contact: activist dot journalist at gmail dot com.)

1. sabahul moazzam permalink
    February 11, 2011 1:52 AM

very very sad story but it is a one of the inspiring fact i studied and insha allah it will be lession for the future generation .

2. ziya permalink
    February 11, 2011 11:39 AM

was touched by the article.. may Allah bless his soul..

3. February 12, 2011 4:43 PM

Thanks to all of you for remembering him. And to all those… Rana, Monica, Ajit, who wrote about him so we could know the person he was. I never met Shahid in person. But after reading about him, I mourned for him for months. In many ways what happened to him changed me in the most unexpected and profound ways. I know it is the same for many others. Mahtab thank you for writing this. It gives me and others a chance to connect with Shahid. RIP Shahid.
    My heart goes out to his mother and brothers, Saba, Ejaz, Khalid and many more who are determined to continue his work. Bless you all.

4. Rashid Azmi permalink
    February 12, 2011 8:35 PM

Shaheed never die!

jab jism nasoor hua to jism ko udaya
    par ab kya hoga jise uda nahin paaoge.

HE was,is & will be trouble for the conspirators.
    INSHA ALLAH

• February 18, 2011 8:32 AM

Rashid, my prayers are with you. You are right … Shahid will always live on through the lives he continues to touch till today. Bless you.

5. Lubna permalink
    May 5, 2011 2:59 PM

I never met him in person.But after reading about him, which has changed me in the most unexpected and profound way.I have decided to pursue law after my graduation and INSHA ALLAH I will follow the path he has shown us and continue his work.

6. July 4, 2011 1:58 AM

“Jo lada tha sipahiyo ki tarah kaum me aisa baadshah na hua, Rooh to ho gai tan se juda per haath Talwaar se juda na hua”

7. Mahtab Alam permalink
    December 12, 2011 7:38 PM

Friends,

As you are aware that, on 11th February 2010, Mumbai based lawyer Advocate Shahid Azmi was shot dead by some ‘unidentified’ persons at his office. Shahid was not just another advocate who practiced law to earn his livelihood. He was a fearless crusader for justice; ‘he was in love in with idea of justice’ as one his friend describes him. For many of us, he was one, to whom we can contact in troublesome times.

He was a ray of hope in the time of hopelessness. Shahid was a young but quite a competent lawyer, committed to the ensuring justice for the poorest of the poor, marginalised and religious minorities. Naturally with the untimely and tragic departure of Shahid we left numbed and bewildered.

Hence, to remember his work and legacy and carry forward his mission, we are planning to organise an annual Advocate Shahid Azmi Memorial Lecture, starting from coming year on his martyrdom anniversary, in Mumbai, the city he was born, brought up and martyred.

Since the date is approaching fast, in this regard; we seek both your suggestions for finalalising the topic of the lecture and speaker as well as help in terms of financial contribution towards organising the Lecture.

Kindly send your suggestions as soon as possible.

In solidarity,

Mahtab Alam (+91-9811209345)

Rabi Prakash (+91-9930263684)

activist.journalist@gmail.com

8. Friends, Comrades and Students of Shahid Azmi permalink
    January 22, 2012 11:30 PM

“By showing me injustice, he taught me to love justice. By teaching me what pain and humiliation were all about, he awakened my heart to mercy. Through these hard- ships I learned hard lessons. Fight against prejudice, battle the oppressors, support the underdog.”

–Guiding Principles of Shahid’s Life.

FIRST ADV. SHAHID AZMI MEMORIAL LECTURE

On

“The Illusion called Secularism”

By Dr. Mukul Sinha,

5 PM onwards, Saturday, 11th February 2012

at Conference Hall,
    Mumbai Marathi Patrakar Sangh, near Azad Maidan (opposite CST), Mumbai

Organised by:

Friends, Comrades and Students of Shahid Azmi

9. February 10, 2012 10:15 PM

I thank Jairus for having flagged this article on facebook. I must confess that I had not known of Shaheed Shahid Azmi. Thanks to Mahtab Alam for his efforts. Wish I could have been there.

10. Irfan permalink
    June 8, 2012 5:05 PM

Allah apko Jannat naseeb kare ..
    dont know what to say … Shahid Azmi will also be an inspiration for me.

11. shamim Ahmed permalink
    October 4, 2012 12:03 PM

Thank you Mehtab for writing about Shahid Azmi!

12. Amir Ashraf permalink
    October 5, 2012 3:21 PM

Kuch Log Badal Jaate Hai Halaat Kai Dar Se,

Kuch Log Badal Dete Hai Karine Se Halaat.

Never forget Person The One and Only ” Shaheed Shahid Azmi “

13. Tahseen permalink
    February 9, 2013 12:35 AM

Shukrya Mahtab sahab for organizing a memorial lecture…

14. asif permalink
    November 20, 2013 12:10 AM

Shahid sahab is a perfect example of revolution. A great man,insha allah unki raah per ham sab chalengay.

15. tabish qureshi permalink
    January 8, 2014 10:47 AM

bichda kuch is ada se ke rut he baadal gayi
    ek shaks pure sher ko virana ker gaya

adv shahid shab ko allha jannat me ala mkam ata kere

1. Three years without Shahid Azmi — India Resists
  2. Death Penalty – an agenda for abolition: Yug Mohit Chaudhry « Kafila
  3. Capital Punishment – An Agenda for Abolition: Yug Mohit Chaudhry « Kafila
  4. Zero Hour News » Capital Punishment – An Agenda for Abolition: Yug Mohit Chaudhry
  5. Came to know about Shahid Azmi thanks to Shahid movie | Shining Leaf