An Election in Sarvajan Samaj
This photograph was taken by Salman Usmani in Ganguali village in Unnao near Lucknow, in early January. On the left is Prabhat Pandey and on the right, Ram Khilawan. Pandey is a Brahmin and Khilawan a Dalit. They’re the BSP’s men in this village, responsible for urging Brahmins and Dalits to vote for the BSP candidate, also a Brahmin. The photo was taken when I asked them to pose together. This is all the ‘brotherhood’ they could show before the camera.
Here’s my story on UP elections, seen through the prism of Brahmins and Dalits.
- Lucknow-based Dalit rights activist Ram Kumar reviews five years of Mayawati’s rule
- The untold stories of a political process
- March 2007: The Elephant Paradox
- April 2007: Behenji’s Brahmin Gamble
From Kafila archives:
- May 2009: UP’s Dalits remind Mayawati – Democracy is a Beautiful Thing
- May 2009: Rahul Gandhi and the Dalit votebank in Uttar Pradesh
- June 2007: The meaning of Mayawati for the Dalit movement: Chittibabu Padavala
- May 2007: Why Hindol Sengupta Needn’t Fear Mayawati