Amitabh Bachchan in Gaza

November 23, 2012

T shirt from shop in Ramallah. The Arabic text reads, “My life is an Indian film”. Photo by Sunaina Maira.

Radhika Sainath writes:

Palestinians in Gaza love Indians. They love Indian dancing, they love Indian music, they love Indian clothes. Whenever I walk out of the house, someone inevitably asks “hiyya hindeyee?” Is she Indian? ”I knew it!” they say when the response is in the affirmative. “Bheb al Hind,” I love India….

So Amitabh, Abhishek, Aishwarya, Amir, Hrithik, Kareena, Salman, Shahrukh, if you’re reading this, how about a shout out to 1.5 million of your biggest fans in the Gaza Strip? Israel has forbidden pasta, tea, cement and freedom flotillas from entering Gaza, but it hasn’t stopped Bollywood. We watch you under the Israeli drones and the F-16s, after being shot at by the Israeli navy and army while fishing, picking olives or going to school. You bring a sliver of joy to people living under the world’s longest occupation in the world’s largest prison, and for that we thank you.

Read the rest of this post by Radhika Sainath at Notes from Behind the Blockade Life: politics and nonviolent resistance inside the Gaza Strip.

1. Azous D'Pilid permalink
    November 23, 2012 12:28 PM

Finally, a valid reason to bomb Gaza. Bad taste.

• Sohail Hashmi permalink
      November 23, 2012 2:32 PM

@Azous
      is this your idea of Humour?
      you don’t live in Gaza do you?

2. MSandhyaRao permalink
    November 23, 2012 4:26 PM

A year old, still relevant.

3. Shuaib permalink
    November 23, 2012 9:27 PM

The writing on the T-Shirt in Arabic just reads ‘Hayati Film’ which may be translated as My Life is a Film. I don’t get why you translate it as My Life is an ‘Indian’ Film. Just saying.

4. Ammu Abraham permalink
    November 24, 2012 6:31 AM

Good to know the translation. Fits well into the Bollywood script.

5. ethicalman permalink
    November 27, 2012 7:52 PM

@Shuaib.. that turban guy means sardarji = Indian..it was not hard to understand..so it means My life is an Indian film..

• Shuaib Ahmed permalink
      November 29, 2012 12:57 AM

I don’t want to be appear nit-picky or anything, but I can’t resist noting that the caption says ‘the Arabic TEXT reads…..’. An image is not the same as a text, is it? But you made a good observation.

6. November 27, 2012 11:32 PM

I am not indian, rather i wont to be called indian for what india has done on kashmiris, nagas and tamils. do i have right to support palestnian? since many authentic indians support palestine, they might see me that i am subverting third world alliance against imperialism you see…..