In Memory of a Puppy/ Ek Pillay Ki Yaad Mein

July 13, 2013

puppy-modi

میرے تخیل کے پہیے کے نیچے

آ گیا ہے آپ کی نفرتوں کا پللا

اور پھر مجھے پاکھنڈ کی بھی ضرورت نہیں

کہ مجھے افسوس ہے

(Mere takkhiyul ke pahiye ke neeche

Aa gaya hai aap ki nafraton ka pilla

Aur phir mujhe paakhand ki bhi zaroorat nahin

Ke mujhe afsos hai)

मेरी कल्पना के पहियों के नीचे

आ गया है आपकी नफरतों का पिल्ला

और फिर मुझे पाखंड की भी जरूरत नहीं

कि मुझे खेद है

(Meri kalpana ke pahiye ke neeche

Aa gaya hai aap ki nafraton ka pilla

Aur phir mujhe paakhand ki bhi zaroorat nahin

Ke mujhe khed hai!)

Underneath my imagination’s wheel

Lies crushed your hatred’s puppy

And I don’t even feel the need to pretend

That I feel sorry for it.

© Danish Husain

1. July 13, 2013 11:53 PM

The problem is, this puppy is one that does not seem to have died – despite many imaginary wheels having run over it.

• Tejaswi permalink
      July 14, 2013 7:53 AM

What fascinating insight!! Did that come as a result of your IIT education? Or, despite it? :D

• July 14, 2013 4:03 PM

Umm.. just to clarify.. I was talking of the puppy in the poem; hatred’s puppy.

• Tejaswi permalink
          July 15, 2013 1:26 AM

Oh ok, my apologies then. Yes, unfortunate. For that matter, not imaginary wheels, it should be real wheels running those puppies down. Not happening soon enough. As a fellow techie, my apologies should carry a little more humility than I display here.
          It is surprising in a way. I thought most of our breed had gone in the opposite direction, so it is a whiff of fresh air to see someone like you writing here. I wish it weren’t so ambiguous :) Nonetheless, your blog was refreshing. And let me qualify it by saying, even if you did belong to the saffron brigade, I would have still liked it. Thank you, and once again, my apologies. Good to meet you here..

• July 15, 2013 2:19 AM

Sure, no problem. And since you are the first person to have commented on my young blog, may it be known that my worst nightmare is to be dubbed the upcoming Chetan Bhagat. I’d rather be told my writing sucks.

Glad you liked my writing. :)

2. Usha Shetty permalink
    July 13, 2013 11:57 PM

Wow – how interestingly a metaphor’s been used!!

3. July 14, 2013 12:11 AM

He just meant if i feel sad on the death of the puppy wont i feel sad at the loss of human life.Normal human reaction .

4. ghaflat permalink
    July 14, 2013 5:10 AM

yet another occasion to remember Faiz’s ‘Kutte’

ये गलियों के आवारा बेकार कुत्ते
    ये चाहें तो दुनिया को अपना बना लें
    ये आकाओं की हड्डियां तक चबा लें
    कोई इनको अहसास-ए-जिल्लत दिला दे
    कोई इनकी सोई हुई दुम हिला दे

5. Kunal Vohra permalink
    July 14, 2013 8:53 AM

“Nafraton ka pilla”? That’s terrible!

It’s bad enough that that arrogant and insensitive sod used this very bad analogy. But, why must you perpetuate it further? You’re making it worse, actually, by having a poor pup represent hatred!.

6. July 14, 2013 9:46 AM

Sorry dude. Looks like my Karma just ran over your Dogma.

7. Sneha Banerjee permalink
    July 14, 2013 12:36 PM

Bina taaliyaan thoke – Dan Hussain saab, waah waah, waah waah!

8. Rajesh permalink
    July 14, 2013 1:35 PM

Not pilla, but kutte ka bachcha, is what Modi said: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130713/jsp/frontpage/story_17112818.jsp#.UeJaSNLI0qM

“Hum agar car chala rahen hain… aur koi drive kar raha hai aur hum peechhe baithe hain, phir bhi ek chhota kutte ka bachcha bhi car ke neeche aa jata hai, toh humein pain feel hota hai ki nahin? Hota hai.”

9. Sohail Hashmi permalink

वो अपने दुःख का इज़हार करे
    ताकें वो पिल्ले जो बच् गए हैं
    उस नर्म दिलवाले के एहसान मंद हों

we are all pups
    waiting
    for a soft heart
    to pass this way on his chariot
    we receive deliverance
    being crushed under his wheels
    his saddened visage
    will place under his eternal debt
    the pups that survive

• Tejaswi permalink
      July 15, 2013 2:16 AM

Atrocious!! ‘Vers Libre’ gives you the liberty I suppose. I laud the thoughts, not the poetry. Look at the comment below this one. Much better. Not great, just better. Neither Hindustani nor Hindi, I suppose, but for a madrasi like me, the nuances don’t come easy I guess… still… something better awaited :)

10. DR NADEEM ZAFAR JILANI permalink
    July 15, 2013 12:16 AM

ग़ज़ब “सदभावना ” थी आज उस ज़ालिम के लहजे में

समझता है जो एक “कुत्ते के पिल्ले ” से भी कम मुझ को

वोह इंसानों की लाशें देख कर रोया न था अब तक

चलो एक जानवर की मौत का तो दुःख हुआ उसको !!!!

(डॉक्टर नदीम ज़फर जिलानी, मेनचेस्टर , इंग्लैंड )

11. Ameer permalink
    July 15, 2013 4:43 AM

I was really hoping Kafila would have a detailed piece in the backdrop of those comments by Modi. Regarding the infamous ‘puppy’ comment I think there is misinterpretation and we are lost in rhetoric. As Shoma Chaudhury said on NDTV, he did mean that if he feels sad for a ‘kutte ka baccha’ it is natural that he also feels for the Muslims of 2002. However, he refuses till date to answer that question directly or to express any explicit sympathy with the victims of that mindless (or was it?) violence. And he said “if someone else is driving the car”, implying as the CM of that time, he is completely washing his hands off any moral responsibility. For him it is not a failure because he tried absolutely everything that could have been done. Today, he endowed us with another sound byte: burqa of secularism. Of course, sounds innocent. But essentially the charge against the Congress is that it is a party that appeases to Muslims for votes (lolwut?). Modi is already playing to the nationalist gallery with his insidious Hindutva remarks. Are we even listening?

12. Jeebesh Bagchi permalink
    July 16, 2013 1:07 AM

The problem is Newtonian mechanic driven minds will never know how to deal with a Schrödinger’s puppy :)

13. July 16, 2013 2:25 PM

A democracy throws up all sorts of people and mentalities, it is upto sane people to deal properly with such nuisances in public life.

14. July 17, 2013 6:40 PM

This is a good example of how poetry can best be used to express one’s powerful emotions. Hats off to the poet…